Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sham's Blog: Las Vegas 2007 (Tue 6/5)

(Part 8 in the "Letters Home" series originally printed in aces-cracked.net)

"Entry 7, 9:15 am Tuesday 6/5:

The song remains the same. Thought getting back to Omaha H/L would get me back to the cashing line. Nope. Played Binion's Classic Event 5 $150 Lim Om 8/b at 2 pm Monday, and 6 2/4 hours later the short-stacked sham went out 53rd (maybe 51st, they aren't that accurate when players bow out) as moves didn't quite work. There were 283 entrants, so my finish is OK, but only 28 got paid, so my finish is definitely not OK.

I was making good calls, few chases, good fold (even laid down AAxx preflop because of heavy early betting, and turned out wise as another player had other rockets and another landed his trip king). We started with 4,000 chips, I built mine to 13,600 (with average 4,879) at break at end of level 6, then got as high as 16,700 (ave. 8085) late in level 9. Then came the deep freeze: no good hands for an hour with heft blinds, the once or twice I stuck my toe in the water it got bit by the flop, and I could do nothing about the bullies. Still had 11,500 chips end of level 11, but blinds went up to 2000-4000 and level 12 was the end for me.

I had chances my last two hands. Hoping for nut flush, with A3 at low, I fought two foes to the river. But no fifth spade, no straight filler, and I knew one of the others had A2. So folded amidst river betting with 3.5 K chips left. Most went in following hand as BB, only one caller, again missed straight, he had an ace the board paired and thus a higher two pair, and hasta la proxima shaman!

Today the noon NLHE at Orleans. Then cash games at Rio and/or Palms. I had hoped to use yesterday's Omaha as springboard to enter today's WSOP Omaha H/L event, but twas not to be.

Bought chloroseptic for scratchy throat. Breaking even at small BJ forays. Luck be a lady tonight! (And this afternoon!). Hope I have something (cash, energy, sense of humor) left when y'all get here.

More later..."

No comments: