Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wrong way to end a slump?

Finally broke out of a mini-slump (I hope!!!), as well as feeling better from the stomach flu and actually starting to get my hearing back from the Lady Gaga concert. So why am I not happy?

Guess it's because I played "dumb" in "ending" the current slump. (Postive thinking -- I insist the slump is over, and good things lie ahead!) I finished 45th/246 entrants a little while ago in one a $1.10 Satellite to Sunday's Big Little Tournament at Full Tilt. My $4 prize will pay for most of my entry in the 12:45pm (St. Louis time) BLT.

Of course, if I'd finished one spot higher I'd have got a ticket for the full $5.50 entry. I made the money, but bubbled the 44 tickets. And I should have coasted in for one. But I got KK the last hand and pushed my 5K, got called by the big blind -- who had been the table big stack and bully and whom I had a history with in my short time at Table 22 in the 5-minute turbo event.

I didn't think anyone would challenge my push, since we were one spot from the money and two from the tickets. But my foe had me covered, must've figured he had nothing to lose and could embarass me, and called with AK. And of course, as per Sham's Law, an ace flopped.

I shouldn't have gotten personal and taken riskes. I should have coasted. But I want to win tournaments, not just survive them. I folded my QQ to him a few revolutions earlier when an ace flopped and he push-raised my check (that was when he had twice as much as anyone at the table, before he went on a small losing streak). As bad as things have been running for me, I wanted to attack now that I had KK and get momentum on my side. And the poker gods and goddesses are still laughing at me.

Ah well. I won something. That's a step in the right direction. I also finished 3rd/6 Saturday morning in a Pot Limit Omaha High/Low tourney (ray101bassman's weekly PokerStars $1.10 fun) for a 10-cent profit.

Another lesson learned from having kings cracked in an unnecessary bubble-time risk? Nah, not the way I felt, and as little as I had to lose. I already intended to buy in direct anyway to Sunday's BLT; just decided to try one more satellite as a warmup and game-sharpener.

I'm playing to win. I'm thinking positive. I'm learning, and using (some of) what I learn.

Bring it on, felt Foes and poker Fates! The Shamster will always bounce back. Eventually.

No comments: