Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year 2011?

Just got finished reading Daniel Negreanu's latest blog, with his summary of his 2010 resolutions and his plans for 2011. Daniel's an excellent writer. I always enjoy reading him, even though I don't always agree with him or some of his stands. To each their own -- the key (in my humble opinion) is to respect others, allow them their opinions without trying to force them to change, and not be petty or controlling and always trying to get in the last word.

It's a new year (OK, it's four days old, but who's uber-picky?). Time for new paths and new hopes ... as well as polishing up the good old stuff that doesn't perhaps get the due it deserves. Time for some resolutions. To be honest, they're more like goals or wishes -- five for me, five for the world, all with at least a tinge of poker to them since that's my main thing. These are for 2011; here goes:

WORLD:

1) PokerStars and Full Tilt and other online poker sites to get along, to give their pros and players more freedom to compete (especially in each other's TV events). I was going to wish for a properly regulated and taxed internet poker business community, with easy deposit/withdrawal/transfer, safety of accounts and reasonable fair share for the governments, but that ain't gonna happen with the Republicans running the U.S. House of Representatives. I'm crazy, but I'm not insane enough to expect good things from the current government situation. Ah well, Status Quo is much better than Reid Bill would've been.

2) An 11th WSOP bracelet for Doyle Brunson. He's the true face of poker, what it was, is and should always be. He ain't perfect (who is!), but he is really special. The Godfather of Poker deserves one more shining spotlight -- at least!

3) Less poker splintering, more unification. Too many magazines, TV shows, tournament tours, online sites, "teachers". It's good that more people can get involved and show their stuff and make some money without really doing anything. But I don't like it. I don't think it's good for poker. Quality, not quantity, please!

Hmmm, harder than I thought it'd be to come up with reasonable resolutions/wishes for the world. ("Reasonable"?!) I'm hijacking the remaining two for myself! Seven seems like a good number for me anyway...

ME:

4) Work to better overcome the unpredictable irrational panic attacks and fears that keep me from progressing my game to the next levels. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Manic Depression may seem like cop-out words and phrases to most people. But they're real. They can be devastating, They are definitely no fun. Sometimes suicide seems much preferable. Thank goodness I discovered poker back in the Moneymaker-Raymer era; that was a dose of cure that has kept me going.

5) Play more poker. Online. In the brick-and-mortar rooms. In the bar leagues. In home games. I love a good, friendly, competitive game. I love to play and learn and laugh. I really want more, even if it means less art and massage employment.

6) Get three four-digit prizes in poker tournaments. At least three! My first five-digit prize (no, you don't count to the right of the decimal point, wiseacre) would really be gratifying and exciting. It is definitely possible. And in this resolution spot also would go qualifying for a seat in a live tournament, such as WSOP or a WPT. (PCA ain't gonna happen this month, sniff sniff; next year!)

7) Continue to improve my game. Walk into less monster AA etc. hands. Not be afraid to lay down my hand, or conversely to make hero calls or to chase potentially high-profit pots when the situation is right. It's only a hand, only a tournament, there'll be another along shortly. Live in and for the moment fully.

8) Play more ring games. Had two winning sessions to end September trip to Vegas (one each at Bellagio and  MGM Grand); won $37 for about 90 minutes' play of 1-2 limit at PStars in late December. But I still prefer tournaments soooo much. Plus I do lousy when trying to do more than one thing at a time (multi-tabling for me stinks!). That and mental-meltdown-fear keep me away from the ring games much.

9) Post in this blog more -- and regular. I've got posts sitting in "edit", plus that I've put elsewhere (deviantArt, Facebook, mail, forums). Need to get them all in here where they should be. Again, conglomeration and organization usually beats scattershooting!

10) Get a regular writing/column job with a poker publication/employer or three. Haven't had anything I've felt good about since the boxing days with Flash, RING, KO, Boxing Illustrated and the El Paso Herald-Post. I really should get more serious about it again, fears and bad memory be danged!

As an 11th resolution/wish, I hope that everyone out there has a wonderful 2011. Know when to hold them, when to fold them, be nice to each other and try to always smile ... at least a little. Nothing lasts forever. So enjoy now, and spread the enjoying; there's plenty to go around! Peace.

No comments: