Sunday, November 25, 2007

Blah Blah Blahs

Tennessee Ernie Ford sang about "... another day older and deeper in debt..." Yeah, feels like I'm toting them "Sixteen Tons" around right now -- and not just from my birthday last week or Thanksgiving feasting. I didn't eat that much turkey and dressing! (Hmm, wonder how stuffed armadillo would taste?...)

Maybe I'm just feeling post-success letdown. Missouri football fans aren't used to the Tigers actually winning a BIG one. Sweet when it's against Kansas. Less sweet when Mizzou's got an even BIGGER task in a week, this time against Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game next Saturday night in San Antonio. Wish I still lived back in Austin; I would so be there! Anyways, thanks for the congrats, irongirl; hope your Colorado team gets a bowl invite, there are plenty to go around.

Speaking of the college football bowls, the shamster turned his crystal ball on the Bowl Championship Series this morn and was very pleased with what it revealed. In a sane universe, Mizzou is a lock for a BCS game: either the championship game if the Tigers get revenge on Boomer Sooner, or else (you won't believe this) in the Rose Bowl if Oklahoma lightning strikes twice. Who laughed at "Rose Bowl for Mizzou"? Well, if West Virginia beats Pitt the Mountaineers will punch their ticket to the BCS national championship game (PA buddy Steelpenny will love that!). Their foe will be Mizzou if it beats Oklahoma (still can't believe we might be officially labelled "No. 1" later today in polls), or Ohio State if Mizzou awakens from the dream. A Mizzou loss also means Oklahoma's in the Fiesta Bowl as Big 12 king. Mizzou still gets a BCS bowl invite as second-best in the Big 12 (we did beat Kansas, and Texas got Aggie Turkey Hangover again). If the Rose Bowl loses OSU to the BCS title game, it needs a replacement to meet USC -- and Mizzou fills the bill perfectly. The Tigers beat Illinois (I was there), and the Illini and Michigan just don't deserve Roses.

Ten teams get BCS spots. My crystal ball says: West Virginia, Ohio State, Missouri-Oklahoma winner, LSU-Tennessee winner, Virginia Tech-Boston College winner, USC-UCLA-Arizona survivor. That's six automatics. Then Georgia. Then Missouri if it loses to OU (pronounced "ow"), or Kansas when Missouri's dream continues (Jayhawks rooting for the Tigers; hell definitely has frozen over). That's eight. Remaining two spots up for grabs amongst Hawaii, Illinois, Virginia Tech (if it loses to BC) and Arizona State (if it beats Arizona but USC gets the Roses). Hawaii and the Illini are my predictions, but politics and p.r. will play heavy roles. We shall see...

Saturday poker? I don't really wanna talk about it. Five tournaments, a five-buck profit for the day but really disappointing on the whole. Did come from behind to win the Aces Cracked league game at PokerStars. But got armadilloed in the Online Shark Tour freeroll at poker.com: jumped at a chance to eliminate cardluvr early with flopped two pair against his pocket nines, but a 3 on the river paired the board and gave him bigger two-pair than I. Another 11-2 river favorite drowns. Arghh!! The day started in Absolute Touchdown at Absolute Poker (go St. Louis players!!) with a river heart for the chip leader drowning my two pair, sending sham to the rail 17th/75. Then in the Online Forum Challenge Freeroll at Intertops (I hate Microgaming software and sites and lag and "refresh" and sit-out rules -- never ever again!!!!!) I was 203rd/975. And at the Online Poker Tour Freeroll at BigJuicyOdds I was 396th/552, deservedly but agonizingly losing when I risked it all with nut flush draw after flop for a 12K pot in level 3; my AT never caught table leader's AQ.

Haven't been able to get inspired to play any yet today. Maybe after the laundry. Possibilities include the Britbloggerment tournament at PokerStars (3 pm my time), the Maximum Poker League Series final at VegasPoker247 (7 pm), defending my title in the Nationwide Poker Tour Weekly at Bodog (8:05 pm) and the Shark Poker Tour buy-in at poker.com (9 pm). I'm already registered for three of them. We shall see...

And meanwhile, the Blogger Convention in Las Vegas gets closer and closer. Great tips, Pauly! One week from right now I will be in Sin City, laying the groundwork for 10 days of ... I wonder what? The blahs definitely will stay in St. Louis, I promise ya!

No comments: