Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Just Think Positive...

Another day, another poker adventure or two or 22. I just tried a T$26 token turbo at Full Tilt. Late level two, middle position, pushed with KK after table leader raised things to 100. Passed around to him, he went into tank, finally called me, showed AK. His ace came on the turn, and out I went in 192nd/213 entrants.

Never surprises when I get in with the best hand and get outdrawn -- usually by an ace falling. I've also had many a pair of bullets cracked when a foe hits a set. That's poker. I take it in stride (try to). I try to think positive. But it still hurts. And there's no answer to it. Play conservative? Don't push, and give myself room to bail out if the situation calls for it? Or keep plugging away full steam ahead when things look and feel right? I'll continue with that latter plan; hopefully it will begin paying off happily for me more often. Meanwhile, maybe I should see a voodoo healer or a shrink; sometimes I just feel cursed! lol ...

On many folks' recommendation, I finally switched to Mozilla Firefox this morning. Scare stories about another Microsoft Internet Explorer browser hole that made it exploitable by pirates nudged me into the change. I'm a stubborn armadillo (or mule, for you oldtimers), and change does not come easy. Now I have to learn to use Firefox, incorporate my favorites into it, dump parts of it I don't want (a quick "no thanks!" to red-underlined spellcheck), and try to be patient and open-minded. My main mail is still AOL (7 boxes); wish there was an easier way to incorporate that into Firefox (like have a quicky button to access). Also wish my cursor/pointer would stop misbehaving (occasionally wanders off to margins, usually highlights what things are about and I don't want to know or be distracted, activates aggravating advertisement movements, etc.). Patience, sham ...

The World Blogger Championships of Online Poker are well under way at PokerStars. Wish I could say I was doing well, because they are fun. The frustrations are familiar.

Monday was Pot Limit Omaha. I was playing ultra tight, by third level was 2nd with 403 people left (top 72 get prizes), enterred fifth level (30/60 blinds) solid 34th/325. Flop comes Q994 two clubs; I have Q9xx. I bet pot. Table leader with a few more chips than me reraises enough to put me all in. Heck yeah I'll call and risk it. Are we playing with a 10-queen deck? Must be, because he has two of the girls and his boat's bigger than my boat. Thought he was chasing the nut flush. Ah well. Finished 309th/450 entrants. Don't tell me the odds, or that I should've held back a little on the off-chance the one hand that beat me already was out there. I was more worried about the club flush or bigger boat landing on down the streets. Ya buys your ticket and takes your chances...

Tuesday was No Limit Holdem. Flopped a set in level one and slow-played a bit since there was an ace on the flop. Good thing, since aces came on turn and river and rival ended up with quad bullets. I avoided going broke, but was pushed to the back of the bus and in survival mode. Did survive, which is something to be proud of, until just before second break (late in level 12). Think I just finally ran out of chips and luck, and ended up 143rd/559 entrants. Exasperating yet encouraging.

I could make a mile-long post of bad beats and tough losses, especially in the last month, but I won't. Maybe another time. Suffice it to say those things will happen (just please stop doing it to me so much, poker goddesses!!). We shall play on. Tonight (Wednesday) features WBCOOP Qualifier 3: Pot Limit Omaha 8/Better (High/Low), beginning at 9pm my time in St. Louis (I like that late start!) I feel very very good about this one!!! Also tonight at Pokerari the three-month On Tilt Radio Bad Azz TPL continues to wind down, with my forum squad poker101a far ahead for the team prize. I'm still in first in the individual standings, but only 85 points ahead of the runner-up. Tonight's game (PL Omaha H/L, nice coincidence to the WBCOOP action) probably won't draw the minimum 10 and will get cancelled; that'll leave five more games in the series. I have got to hang on!!!!!

Doyle's Room is having its last Bounty Tournament of 2008 at 8:30 tonight; I'd love to play with Doyle Brunson, Mike Caro, Hoyt Corkins and company, but I have to focus on the WBCOOP. The Poker Analysis Freeroll League invades a new site, RPM Poker, but I'm trying to hold off on downloading new sites right now. Muffmoney has a private game at 4:30p at Spin32, and I'll probably invest my $2.50 in that. Blogger Mookie has his weekly game at 9p at Full Tilt; maybe next week I'll rejoin them. Yes, friends, Wednesday is not an easy night for a bad multi-tasker like me to choose where to devote his time.

Hopefully I've gotten most of today's bad beats out of my system already, and now the fun can begin!

No comments: