Monday, February 18, 2008

Small Victories Still Feel Good

I hope it's an omen for a good week. I'm as computer-inept and technophobic as they come, but I got the Adobe Reader update to download and actually work on my computer! Yeah, yeah, it's a simple thing ... but that hasn't stopped me from messing it up in the past. Now I can see pdfs!!! Now I'll know how yesterday's Horse Race of the Day turned out without going to Equibase's results! Now the world is at my fingertips! (Not really, but I'm an easy guy to please; I'll take any tiny victories life hands me!)

Life didn't hand me tiny victories on the poker tables over the weekend. My play was OK, occasionally sterling, but the results were ... I don't think that disgusting sound translates into letters for a printed page. No wins. Only one cash. Only three final tables. Blah!

This week will be light on online poker once again; work gigs run into the evening, and with modelling every day it doesn't give a lot of time or energy to devote to the felt wars. Things will improve a tad the last week of February when I model afternoons and get my nights back; cannot wait to resume playing in leagues with my friends at Poker Analysis, Real Poker Players, TheBluffers, etc. -- not to mention the Blogger Circuit.

Speaking of the Blogger Circuit, there is one game written in RED INK on my calendar this week that I will definitely play. (Thanks for the heads-up, Dr. Pauly!) Author Anthony Holden hosts the Tuesday Night Game once a month at PokerStars. Holden wrote "Big Deal" and "Bigger Deal", two of the best poker books ever. This tournament commemorates the legendary live Tuesday Night Game in England that attracted many top authors, artistes, etc. The online version plays at 3 pm ET Tuesday Feb. 19 for $10+$1, with $2,700 added and many other prizes. I can only play for about 3 hours. I intend to last that long, and hope it's enough to at least reach the money and the final table; FT players get an autographed copy of one of Holden's books. And he'll be playing. It will be fun. I was the first player registered, a couple weeks back. For more info and the password, check out http://www.biggerdeal.com/ -- and enjoy!

The reason I can only play until about 5 pm my time? Work. But a special gig. Ever hear of Body Worlds, the traveling exhibit of real human bodies treated by the process of plastination into works of art that are like skinless bodies posed in athletic and other activities? (Look it up at http://www.bodyworlds.com/; awesome, though not for the squeamish.) Well, Body Worlds 3 has been at the St. Louis Science Center for months, and with the exhibit almost over they held an "Artists Night" last Wednesday where people could come in and draw the exhibits, with four live human models thrown in for comparitive purposes. I was one of the four live human models. It went over so well, they've asked us for an encore performance this Tuesday from 7-9 pm my time -- thus my time limit in playing Holden's poker game. (www.slsc.org/content.aspx?id=4077) They will have photographers this time (they weren't allowed last week, only sketch artists and painters), so I'll try to post photos from this gig (or a link) after we get prints-for-time trade. Yeah, I'll even try to include the female live models in the pix, just for Uncle Al.

Today, time to get to Fontbonne University and Victor's painting class; they're doing my portrait today and Wednesday. And sitting there will give me good time to ponder ways to tweak the poker game. Needs much pondering. "Is a puzzlement!!!"

No comments: