Thursday, December 20, 2007

Weekend -- Part II

Just got knocked out of a Rounders Radio Freeroll. There were 89 of us battling for one prize, a $60 satellite coupon to Carbon's Sunday $20K (which I've played once and is a lot of fun). Got it all in with AA against 99, who thought I was stealing. But a 9 fell on the turn and he collected my last 5K chips. Finished 14th -- that's two 14ths and a 13th among my last four tourneys, I'm in a rut! Everyone was nice, sympathetic and "upset" about the aces being cracked. I'll never understand the big deal: It's just two cards, anyone can really win at just about anytime, "miracle" comebacks happen in football, baseball, golf, you name it. Disappointing, yeah, but oh well, no biggie: That's poker. Always next time!

Got to get last weekend wrapped up before it's this weekend. If the computer will let me. A lot of problems lately, from AOL, Java, Windows, my keyboard, blogspot and the invisible girl in the invisible bikini on the invisible bunkbed over mine. Hopefully we'll get this all in before something else blows... (Insert own snide side joke here. Sham's good at feeding out the straight lines...)

OK, last Sunday. Enterred four tournaments. Came out with profit in four tournaments. Wish every day was like that! In brief, at Vegas Poker 247 I played the Muffmoney League Buy-In Final ($10+$1, $200 added, I had to buy in since I didn't qualify in the prelims) and the Muffmoney League Freeroll Final (qualified twice for this). They started two hours apart, but I still wound up with a little overlap. Not to worry: was 3rd/23 in the buy-in ($69.80) and 8th/12 in the freeroll ($9). By now I don't remember much about either, except that I was playing well and getting cards. I'll take those kind of happenings any day!

Over to Absolute Poker for the Poker Analysis Buy-In League game ($5, $50 added). Whereas the day's first two outings were No Limit Holdem, the PA game was Pot Limit Omaha 8/Better (high/low for the new and/or easily confused reader). I'm not real fond of pot limit games, and started slow here. So I managed to pick my spots, milk my good hands, hit a couple races and wind up 4th/14 for $13.64. Also earned 50 points, and now I'm actually in a crowded tight race for the monthly title (which is worth a sweet ticket to a big weekend tourney, among other things). The PA B-I Lg resumes tonight with H.O.R.S.E. at PokerStars ($5.50 at 7:30 pm my time). There'll be four more games this month after today, so I need a good showing.

Speaking of HORSE, that seques perfectly to Sunday's fourth and final outing: the Blogger Skill Game at Full Tilt. It was limit HORSE with $6 bounties. A $30+$3 entry fee with super stacks of 5,000 chips to start. A field of 47 tough players, including some Full Tilt pros. My opening seven-player table included one of them, Jon "pearljammed" Turner. Plus host cracknaces (Chad, I think it is, I am horrible with names etc., think he went on to win it all), pushmonkey72, HadriansWall, Jetdr and more. The kind of cast nightmares are made of.

First level Holdem, I won a couple fast hands with QQ and AK. Then cracknaces started beating me around (as he would most foes in his tournament), and that brought me back to earth. A little. For a while. I was 44th/47 when level 2 shifted us into Omaha H/L; 43rd/47 for level 3 Razz; 37th/47 for level 4 Stud High. Now studs are my least-favorite games because of my no-memory, but things were going well in them this time. I climbed to 21st/47 for level 5 Stud Hi/Low, and there I hit a wheel (ace-through-5) in my first five cards and kept betting from the beginning. Pushmonkey chased me all the way, and that swept a pot of about 1,400. Shortly thereafter a 6 on the river gave me a straight and swept a pot worth over 1,700 with Wall. I came out of level 5 in 7th, and this time did better in Holdem to enter the break 4th/46 left.

Positioning fluctuated in the top 10 during the second hour's six levels. Back into Stud H/L for level 10, I hit a flush on the river on the first hand. Club flush and 87543 low for a scoop. And thus eliminated the pro pearljammed. I had the chips, cards and outs to challenge him down to the wire, and wound up with not only his chips but the $30 bounty on him. Didn't expect that, but it was sweet; Jon wound up 44th. Full Tilt said it'd mail me a T-shirt too for bountying a pro. When the level ended and we headed back to holdem, I was 1st overall (42 left).

Yeah, it didn't last, but it was real fun while it lasted. The scribbling gets harder to read after that; definitely playing in a zone and on instinct primarily, the med condition does that at times. I got another bounty on DonkeyPuncher in level 12 and split another bounty with someone somewhere along the line; that's the only way I can figure I came out of the tourney with $39, a $6 profit. Should've been better, but I'm often not able to sustain those levels of success ... yet.

Bottom line, I finished 10th/47, one step short of the final table. Played for about 3 1/2 hours. Really started to slide in level 15, Stud H/L (which had been so good to me!). My QQ66 and straight draw lost to trip 8's for a pot of over 14K. Then Astin showed two kings up to chase off my jacks. I was last of 16 left into level 16, but I picked my shots and kept fighting. The crusher came in level 19 (Stud High); I'd climbed to 6th/11, but I play to win (and only 5 were getting paid). So I wound up calling nemesis JDSchellnutt's all-in for what had built to a 36K pot; I had Qc7hQh2h7sTd to his 6dAhAdTcKh3s. My Q's and 7's against his A's. I don't remember my seventh street; his was a killer 6, giving him a bigger two pair and leaving me only 347 chips. Ya gots to pick your times to do or die, and I'd chosen mine. So it goes! After that, the blinds and antes had me all-in without doing anything; I won once when I built a boat, but could go no further with only aces. Fun and educational, in the end, and slightly profitable.

Haven't done much this week since Sweet Sunday. No cashes, few cards and too much aggressiveness/bad timing. Hopefully things will change with the PA HORSE in a couple hours. We shall see. Thanks for reading; now I just owe one report, the Vegas trip. Happy holidaze, play nice and see ya soon...

No comments: